Fall is here and with it come loads of hearty comfort foods. I love mashed potatoes, I could eat them every day, but sometimes I don’t need the extra carbs or calories. I instead reach for my favorite alternative Mashed Cauliflower. The consistency is close to mashed potatoes, although not a perfect match and it tastes great. If you have picky kids, this is a great way to sneak in some veggies, they’ll never know it’s cauliflower.
My recipe calls for butter and sour cream, but can be made vegan by subbing with vegan sour cream and olive oil instead of butter. This recipe packs a whopping 108 calories per serving and makes a great side to nearly any meal.
If you’re looking for different flavors, try adding some ranch flavoring, I get dry ranch seasoning at Costco and it makes mashed cauliflower and mashed potatoes taste great! Any ingredient you’d use to season regular mashed potatoes can be used in mashed cauliflower, go wild!
Low Carb Mashed Potatoes
Easy, healthy, low carb alternative to mashed potatoes.
- 1 Large Head of Cauliflower
- Butter - 1 Tablespoon
- Sour Cream - 3 Tablespoon
- Almond Milk - 1/2 Cup Approximately (More or less may be needed depending on the size of the cauliflower head)
- Garlic Powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Salt to Taste
- Optional * Parmesan - 3 Tablespoons
- Step 1 Prep Cauliflower, remove stem and leaves and cut into small pieces
- Step 2 Boil cauliflower until tender, approximated 10 minutes
- Step 3 Strain cauliflower and place into food processor
- Step 4 Add butter, sour cream and almond milk
- Step 5 Blend until a smooth mashed potato consistency is achieved (this will be slightly more grainy than standard mashed potatoes, cauliflower does not get as creamy as potatoes do.)
- Step 6 Add garlic and salt to taste, blend
- Step 7 Top with butter or gravy if desired.
- Step 8 Serve warm